5/13/08

Revelation!

I understand why suicide rates are higher among the unemployed. Got it. Fuckin' nailed it, actually. In fact, here's a picture:
Some networks it would seem, while the rest of the world is off to work, punish the unemployed with marathon runs of dopamine-inducing failfests. For the last three days, I've watched almost the entire length of three seasons of ANTM (a.k.a. America's Next Top Model).

For those not privy, this is the show in which Tyra Banks, along with several other equally qualified judgers (not a typo) systematically eliminate the weak and sickly gazelles from the herd of would-be supermodels in order to crown the last woman standing as "top model." Jesus Christ, I was lucky enough to make it through the intro which is a clip fest of Tyra Banks modeling to the beat of a song she made just for the show... The lyrics to that song I should mention are just < skank > You wanna be on.. Top? < /skank >... Over and over.. With house music..

I was never able to make it. I have no idea who wins any of the seasons I watched. And I'm genuinely bummed about that. That is where I get scared. Somehow this combination of things which should not appeal to me, or anybody really, was presented to me in a manner that caused me to become emotionally invested in it. I cared. I frequently found myself mouthing phrases like "Jade, you bitch!" or "Joanie, totally Joanie.." I had all the names down within 3 episodes (Note: read as 3 hours). I don't remember now why I even began writing this. I think I was angry at Tyra Banks, but now I'm just angry that I don't know who won. I guess that's why Wikipedia is for.. Harmony and balance restored.. At least until Tyra Bank's tries to change the world again.. LIFE LESSON?

No comments: